Summer Maintenance Checklist
Ah, summer is here. The temperatures are soaring, the rain is pounding, and the sun is blazing. It’s important that you take the time to maintain your home this summer and to prepare it for the extreme heat that you could be facing. Check out our ultimate checklist of summer home maintenance tips to help you give your home some TLC.
SUMMER MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST
- Do a test of your smoke detectors. Replace the batteries if needed.
- Get your cooling system ready. Consider getting your air conditioner serviced. This one is especially important for summer home maintenance since you don’t want to be stuck without air conditioning when the temperature starts climbing.
- Dust the ceiling fan blades and check that the fan is working properly. Reverse the direction of the ceiling fan if necessary.
- Check the carbon monoxide detectors.
- Clean the garbage disposal. When’s the last time you tackled your garbage disposal? Exactly.
- Tackle some decluttering. Why not take the chance to go on a de-cluttering spree?
- Change the filter in the air conditioner.
- Clean your grill to prep for summer barbecuing. Charcoal grills: Empty the grill and wipe away any dust or residue. Use hot water, dish soap, and a scrub brush or sponge to clean both the outside and inside of the grill. Be sure to let your grill dry off before using it next.
Gas grills: Close the lid, turn the heat up high, and let the grill cook for about half an hour. Let the grill cool. Use a grill brush to sweep the grill. Wipe down the outside with a sponge and cleaner. Then clean out all of the drip trays.
- Wash down your porch. You should sweep the porch thoroughly, then wash it with a cleaner. Remove any embedded dirt by scrubbing with soap and water.
- Consider your watering schedule. If you’ve got plants, think about your strategy for watering them over the summer.
- Add a layer of mulch. If you have plants, the extra mulch will help fight off weeds and help your soil retain moisture during those scorching summer months.
- Check for outdoor leaks. Go on a hunt for leaks by checking all outdoor faucets. Then look at your hose. You can waste a lot of water if there’s even a tiny hole in your hose. Use electrical tape to repair any small holes in your hose.
- Care for the plants. Take the time to look over your plants and give them the appropriate care.
- Protect your home against unwanted guests. Caulking your windows and doors can help stop bugs and ants from infiltrating your home.
- Clean out the gutters and downspouts. You should clean the gutters at least once a year, perhaps twice if you have a lot of trees around your home.
- Consider having your driveway and walkway pressure washed.
- Don’t forget the pool. If you have a swimming pool, take the time to give it a good clean so it’s all ready for the summer.
- Put a sturdy mat at the door. Help your guests avoid tracking in dirt by having a good mat at your front door.
- Consider getting your roof inspected. It’s important to properly maintain your roof to make sure that it can last as long as possible.
- Maintain a weekly lawn cut schedule. It’s important to cut the grass once a week to keep the warm weather weeds at bay.